Monday, February 9, 2009

Skiing Back Home

Brian and I are back home to cold and snowy Ohio. Cleveland almost broke the record for the snowiest January on record. What a nice welcome home present! Our life has not been very exciting since we got back (no skydiving or anything). The most exciting thing I have done was buy this T-shirt:


We miss Australia. We have great memories from there. Almost everyday, we ask ourselves when are we going back. Unfortunately we don’t have plans to go back anytime soon. Even though Australia was the best vacation ever, we don’t know if we will go back (at least before children). The reason is there are so many wonderful places to see in the world, and going to the same place just does not seem right. We are still trying to decide what to do about all of our vacation ideas.

So we decided we needed to make the most of snowy Ohio. We went skiing last weekend. I have never been on skis before in my life. Brian had skied a season while in grade school. Let me tell you, he had quite an advantage on me. We went to Alpine Valley for an hour ski lesson and then some free time on the beginner hills.


Once we got our equipment, we waited for our lesson to start. We were on a little hill (like 1-2 stair step hill-extremely small). Brian told me to move up the hill towards the instructor. My feet were trying to move, but I was not going anywhere. I had never walked with skis before. It is much harder than it looks. Finally the instructor had to come down, take off my skis for me, and then I walked up the tiny hill. This was going to be an adventure!

Our instructor was good. It was nice because it was just us and a girl about 12 years old in the lesson. So I got a pretty much private lesson, since Brian already knew how to ski. Eveything came back to him quickly. The girl was good at skiing already too as she had down cross country skiing. We worked on climbing up hill while on skis. Then I got to ski down the hill trying to control speed and direction. At first, that did not go so well.

I did get a little better as time went on though. We did the bunny hill at least 20 times. Then there was an intermediate hill that Brian convinced me would not be that bad. So I tried it. Guess what, I fell! Brian states I just sat down because I got scared. He may be right but either way, I was on my butt and not my skis. Then Brian would have to help me get up. That is also a challenge in itself. Taking off the skis to get up would be too easy, so I did it the hard way. My poor body was sore from all my falls and getting pulled on to get back up.

Brian is a good skier. He did the intermediate hill several more times without me. I was content staying at the bottom of the hill watching him. The weather was perfect. It was in the 30’s without any wind and the sun was out when we started.


All and all, it was a lot of fun. I highly recommend people trying to ski at least once. Just remember it is not that easy and it takes a lot of practice. I hope to go again before this season is over. We have a great advantage living in Ohio and having all the seasons so we are going to make the most of it. I now have a winter hobby.

Next vacation update:
We are planning a southern Caribbean cruise in August with Melissa and Jonathan. I am waiting to confirm I can get off work but hopefully all works out with it. I will update plans as they come together.

Scrapbook update:
I got all my scrapbook supplies in the mail today. I am very excited about that. I ordered special Australia/New Zealand paper and stickers. So I am going to stop blogging and start scrap booking.

No comments: