While on Melissa's wedding cruise, we booked an Asian cruise for February 2009. We only put a deposit down which is totally refundable till December. We thought Asia would be really neat to see but we were not exactly sure if we wanted to do it.
On our last British Isles cruise, we also put a deposit down for a Eastern Mediterranean cruise with ports to Greece and Egypt. We talked with several people on that cruise and many said the pyramids are specular and something to see. We had our hopes set on that and we were thinking Melissa and Jonathan would be coming too.
Once we got home and looked into the Mediterranean cruise which is only offered January, February, and March. (With Brian back in grad school, January would work best for us). One of the first things I started to look at is the weather. I have learned that the weather is a very important part of ones vacation. (Neither of us were expecting the British Isles to be as cold/rainy as it was. We need a warm vacation next since our last two major trips were a little chilly). Well the Eastern Mediterranean, is also chilly in January, February, and March. Barcelona highs are around upper 50's lower 60's. With that cruise, there are 4 seas days and the NCL's Jade does not have an indoor pool. There is not much to do on sea days. Not being able to enjoy the outside is really a bummer. So we talked with Melissa and Jonathan and decided to scrap this vacation at least for now.
So Brian and I talked a lot and tried to figure out what we really wanted to do. Maybe do little vacations next year and then go on our dream vacation to Australia/New Zealand in 2010. Or maybe we could do our Asian cruise in 2009 like scheduled. Asia will be warm in February so that was a plus. But Brian is in school and February really does not work well. Plus we looked into airfare and the flight is basically just as long as it is to Australia. Neither of us have ever been able to sleep on planes and traveling for about 24 hours really does not sound like fun. Oh what should we do?
We found an Australia/New Zealand cruise leaving on January 4, 2009 for a reasonable price. Then we started thinking, our dream trip has always been Australia/New Zealand.
If we go to Asia, we may never go to Australia because of the issues of flying that long again. (We know the flights are going to be very difficult)! So we made sure we both could get off work and starting looking into airfare. Then we realized something. Because of the timing of the cruise, we could be in Sydney Harbor for New Years Eve. (Three years ago we were in Times Square for New Years, right at the ball). What an opportunity this could be. We knew this was the trip of a lifetime and decided even though we were not expecting to do somewhere so soon, we could not pass this up. We have booked the Celebrity Millennium to leave from Sydney on January 4, 2009 ending in Auckland New Zealand on January 18, 2009. The soonest we could leave home is December 27, 2008 which is when we are leaving to fly to Sydney. It is kind of amazing because we leave the 27th but don't arrive in Sydney till 29th because of the time change and the length of flights. We are in for quite an adventure. So we only have the cruise and airfare booked right now but I will starting planning everything else very soon. Especially since I don't have too much time to spare.
I learned something very important last night. My mother in law has a special program that she can book international airfare at lower cost then we can find online. So she booked our flights for us however we learned this was their first time doing so which made me a little nervous. So I called Pacific Air last night to confirm that we were really on the flight. They have us on them which is good. However the person said that we will need a Passport and Visa. I asked him if he was serious. We need a Visa! I started thinking to myself do we have time to get one? I started to freak out a little bit but learned that you can do it online and it usually only takes a few minutes but some take up to 12 hours. I am so glad I called the airlines last night or it could have been really bad. (I can see it now Brian and I are at LAX ready to board the flight to Australia and we do not have a Visa and they will not let us on the plane. Oh what a nightmare). That is a perfect example of all the research I have to do before this trip.
Here is a picture of what we will be doing this year for New Years Eve. We are really excited about this.


No comments:
Post a Comment